Institute for the Popularization and Application of Science, Burkina Faso
Some information on the work of the Institute for the Popularization and Application of Science (IAVS) based in Burkina Faso.
IAVS offers courses in the field of climate change which include:
- A Masters in the management and economics of climate change;
- A short course on the methodologies of integrating adaptation to climate change into development programmes and planning.
- Certified courses in the management of climate risks in different sectors.
All IAVS courses are also available as distance-learning courses.
IAVS research is organised around the following projects:
- Pilot action to support capacity to adapt to climate variability, extreme event and climate change in urban and peri-urban areas of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso).
- Integration of adaptation into national policies and strategies on food security.
- Development of tools to manage drought risk to cotton production in Burkina Faso.
- Evaluation of the potential of using social capital to manage climate risks in the peri-urban areas of Ouagadougou.
IAVS information and communication
IAVS communication outlets include:
- The IAVS Newsletter: Communicates to the public the activities and events organised by IAVS.
- The Climate Change booklet: This is an IAVS produced booklet aimed at raising awareness and providing information on the work IAVS does relating to climate change.
- The International Review of Climate Change in Africa: A review to disseminate the results of research in the field of climate change.
The IAVS has 2 websites: