Blue Marine Foundation
Blue Marine is filling a niche in the NGO world, enabling marine conservation to happen fast and effectively. Blue Marine works using a combination of top-down intervention to improve governance of our seas and bottom-up project delivery to help local communities who are at the front line of ocean conservation.
They’re key strategic interventions are as follows:
- Securing marine protected areas to ensure the protection of at least 30% of the ocean by 2030.
- Developing models of sustainable fishing proving that low-impact fishing benefits marine life, local fishers and communities.
- Restoring marine habitats to revive and protect vulnerable and threatened species and to sequester carbon.
- Tackling unsustainable fishing by highlighting poor practice and developing solutions.
- Connecting people with the sea and enhancing ocean understanding across generations.