The National Research Council (CNR) is the largest public research institution in Italy, the only one under the Research Ministry performing multidisciplinary activities.
Founded as legal person on 18 November 1923, CNR’s mission is to perform research in its own Institutes, to promote innovation and competitiveness of the national industrial system, to promote the internationalization of the national research system, to provide technologies and solutions to emerging public and private needs, to advice Government and other public bodies, and to contribute to the qualification of human resources.
Thematic areas in CNR include:
- Chemical sciences and materials technology
- Earth system science and environmental technologies
- Physical sciences and technologies of matter
- Biology, agriculture and food sciences
- Biomedical sciences
- Engineering, ICT and technologies for energy and transportation
- Social sciences and humanities, cultural heritage