The German Weather Service ( DWD ) is a higher federal authority in the portfolio of the Federal Ministry for Digital Affairs and Transport. It is responsible for meeting the meteorological requirements of all areas of the economy and society in Germany. Our tasks are based on a legal information and research mandate, the German Weather Service Act.
- Provision of meteorological and climatological services
- Meteorological security in aviation The aviation weather service is SES – certified and involved in the global security and meteorological support of civil aviation.
- Meteorological safety at sea With the IMO Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea ( SOLAS ), the DWD is involved in the worldwide safety and supervision of sea shipping.
- Meteorological security of the traffic routes as well as important infrastructures – in particular the energy supply and the communication systems
- Release of official warnings about weather phenomena Video – YouTube channel of the German Weather Service: How does the DWD warn you of severe weather?
- Short-term and long-term detection, monitoring and assessment of meteorological processes, structure and composition of the atmosphere
- Recording of the meteorological and climatological interaction between the atmosphere and other parts of the environment
- Analysis and forecast of meteorological and climatological processes, as well as analysis and projection of climate change and its effects
- Monitoring the atmosphere for radioactive trace substances and predicting their transport Video – YouTube channel of the German Weather Service: Monitoring radioactivity in the air and precipitation
Operation of the required measuring and monitoring systems
- Provision, archiving, documentation and delivery of meteorological and climatological geodata and services