Founding members of National Council of Bengal, the parent body of the Jadavpur University, in 1906 set the goal “To achieve self reliance through empowerment of Youth by imparting Best of Global Knowledge”.
Today the University also aims :
- To promote and pursue higher education by linking up traditionally separated subjects in the light of the ever-changing global scenario.
- To explore new dimensions of academic administration free of bureaucratic impediments.
- To set up a role model for academic leadership.
- The highest standards of excellence in teaching, research, creative expression and service to the community;
- Advanced learning as a humanising social practice rather than as a competitive exercise;
- Regarding the production and dissemination of knowledge as inseparable goals;
- Upholding the principle that the culture of reason and learning is indivisible from a concern for the world beyond the campus;
- Maintaining principles of democratic governance and intellectual and institutional freedom;
- Abiding by principles that do not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, caste, gender and economic status.