Webinar: Loss and Damage in South Asia and the HKH
Join ICIMOD and Climate Analytics for this webinar in the run-up to COP28!
About the webinar:
The Hindu Kush Himalaya region and South Asia are especially vulnerable to climate hazards due to development constraints and the prevalence of climate-sensitive livelihoods. The resulting loss and damage already being inflicted on people and nature is set to escalate as the world warms. At COP27, countries agreed to set up a new fund and funding arrangements to assist vulnerable developing countries in responding to loss and damage. A transitional committee was set up to figure out the details, with the aim of finalising the fund at COP28 in Dubai.
This online webinar will discuss priorities and challenges in relation to the new fund, the Santiago Network, and other key loss and damage issues to be agreed at COP28. Join us on the 8th August 2023 at 15:15 NPT (11:30 CEST) by registering here!
This is the second webinar facilitated by Climate Analytics in a series of webinars in the lead-up to COP28. Rewatch the first webinar ‘The Road to COP28: Climate Action Priorities in South Asia’.
Agenda and speakers:
Chair: Sonia Awale, Executive Editor, Nepali Times
Opening remarks: Pema Gyamtsho, Director General, ICIMOD
Featuring presentations by:
- Sneha Pandey, Climate Diplomacy and Policy Analyst, Climate Analytics
- Mandira Shrestha, Senior Water Resource Specialist, ICIMOD
- Khadeeja Naseem, Minister, Climate Change, Maldives Government, and Transitional Committee Member
- Sonam Wangdi, Former Secretary, Bhutan’s National Environment Commission and LDC Chair, and Transitional Committee member
- Saleemul Huq, Director, International Centre for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD), Bangladesh
- V.R.K. Prabhakar, Principal Policy Researcher, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
- Shreya K.C., Member, Loss and Damage Youth Coalition (LDYC), and Advisor to Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA)
We aim to post all comments and forum posts, but will not post anything that we consider unrelated to the topic under discussion. Your comment will be reviewed before publishing.
Explore other discussions and posts from users.