The National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES) is the only national institute in Japan conducting a broad range of interdisciplinary, integrated environmental research. Since its establishment in 1974, NIES has played the pivotal role in solving various environmental problems.
NIES is structured as follows:
- Issue-Oriented Research Programs: Low-Carbon Research Program; Sustainable Material Cycles Research Program; Harmonization with Nature Research Program; Health and Environmental Safety Research Program; Environment-Economy-Society Integration Research Program.
- Environmental Emergency Research Programs: Environmental Recovery Research Program; Environmental Renovation Research Program; Environmental Emergency Management Research Program.
- Research Projects: Satellite Observation Center; Japan Environment and Children’s Study Programme Office; Risk Assessment Science Collaboration Office; Environmental Emergency Management Office; Social Dialogue and Co-production Office.
- Climate Change Adaptation Services: Center for Climate Change Adaptation
- Building Environmental Research Infrastructure: Strategic monitoring of the global environment, global environment database development, and support for global environmental research; Establishment of informational research fundamentals about resource circulation and waste management; Development of the environmental certified reference materials, and establishment of reference laboratory for environmental measurement; Long-term storage of environmental specimens (specimen banking); Collection, preservation and distribution of strains of microalgae and endangered algae; Preservation of the genetic resources of rare wild animals; Development of biodiversity and ecosystem information infrastructure; Long-term monitoring of regional environmental change and development of joint observation site infrastructure; Long-term monitoring of inland waters, and provision of data to domestic and international monitoring networks.
- Environmental Research Fields: Global Environmental Research Field; Material Cycles and Waste Management Research Field; Environmental Risk Research Field; Regional Environment Research Field; Environmental Biology and Ecosystems Research Field; Environmental Health Research Field; Social and Environmental Systems Research Field; Environmental Measurement and Analysis Research Field; Environmental Emergency Research Field.