ISET is engaged in both basic research and applied implementation activities, with a particular focus on the translation of global natural and social scientific insights into local contexts in a manner that improves understanding and enables action.
ISET-International’s activities combine knowledge generation, learning and the incubation of innovative strategies through pilot scale implementation. Our core activity areas are:
- Knowledge and Innovation Research: Carefully targeted strategic research to identify innovative strategies for responding to critical issues facing humankind such as those related to climate change, water and other environmental resources, disaster risk reduction, development and poverty alleviation.
- Methodology development: Developing the basic tools required to analyze, understand and respond to emerging problems in complex interlinked socio-ecological systems.
- Incubation Support: Provision of process, technical and other advisory support to local organizations implementing innovative programs for responding to climate change and other issues. In selected cases this extends to the direct implementation of innovative pilots by ISET-International itself.
- Evidence-based advocacy: Knowledge generated through research, pilot and other activities is used as key evidence to advocate for effective responses to emerging problems in local, regional and global forums. ISET-International’s advocacy activities are non-political and range from targeted publication in peer-reviewed forums to analysis of emerging policy.
In addition to research and direct support projects, ISET-International focuses on techniques for:
- Shared Learning
- Climate downscaling
- Vulnerability Analysis
- Resilience Planning
- Economic Analysis including cost-benefit
Most of ISET-International’s current work is in South And South East Asia.