Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) aims to protect the environment, conserve Canada’s natural heritage, and provide weather and meteorological information to keep Canadians informed and safe.
Environment and Climate Change Canada is building on its accomplishments with the environment through credible science, effective regulations and legislation, successful partnerships, and high-quality service delivery to Canadians.
We support sound environmental decisions. We work to repair the damage of the past, to collect and pass on knowledge, and to develop, implement and enforce policies to prevent future issues. We also work to ensure that Canadians have a safe, clean and sustainable environment today, tomorrow and well into the future.
Environment and Climate Change Canada is a diverse organization where our programs, services, and people lead the way in implementing the Government of Canada’s environmental agenda. We collaborate with our partners at home and abroad, to realize concrete progress on initiatives that will protect the health of our people and our planet.
Environment and Climate Change Canada’s mandate is to
- preserve and enhance the quality of the natural environment, including water, air, soil, flora and fauna;
- conserve Canada’s renewable resources;
- conserve and protect Canada’s water resources;
- forecast daily weather conditions and warnings, and provide detailed meteorological information to all of Canada;
- enforce rules relating to boundary waters; and
- coordinate environmental policies and programs for the federal government.