Global Initiative on Community Based Adaptation (GICBA)
The Global Initiative on Community-Based Adaptation (GICBA) has been established to enable sharing and coordination between all organisations (and individuals) working on community-based adaptation to climate change. GICBA is open to anyone working on CBA and is a virtual network using weADAPT to enable sharing of project experiences, useful tools and methods for CBA and to catalyse discussion around important issues in CBA.
From this page you will find case studies of CBA, articles highlighting best practice, information on upcoming conferences and events, and a vibrant community sharing experiences from around the world and discussing ways to achieve good community-based adaptation.
Overall GICBA Objectives
- Collective thinking and engagement around Community-Based Adaptation: Creating a shared global community
- Promote CBA to climate change nationally and globally
- Generate and share evidence based research and experience on CBA to climate change
- Create a community of practice with strong learning elements through the Community based adaptation exchange (CBAX).
- Support the series of International Conferences on CBA to climate change.
- Strengthen the capacity of all stakeholders to support efforts at designing, implementing and scaling up CBA to climate change activities
- Support mainstreaming CBA into local and national development planning
The weADAPT Adaptation Layer (Maps / Google Earth) is a space where you can share your CBA projects - have a look at some examples in the 'Latest Case Studies' section, top-left. The Adaptation Layer allows others to know about ongoing projects - it visually presents who is doing what and where. You can add your project to the CBA Adaptation Layer by filling in this short form.
You can also view downscaled climate station data on the Adaptation Layer here.
Find out how to add longer articles about your projects to the GICBA Knowledge Base by going to the 'Share' section here.
Take a tour of some CBA projects on Google Earth
Conference on community-based adaptation
The GICBA organises regular international conferences on community-based adaptation in order to bring a wide range of people together to share current thinking on CBA. The 9th conference on community-based adaptation (CBA9) will take place in Nairobi from the 24th-30th April.
The conference will highlight that there are different ways of measuring the success of community-based adaptation, and underline that effective evaluation considers the perspective of both the donor as well as recipients of adaptation funding. Head to the IIED conference site for the full schedule and more information on ways of following the conference online if you can't be there in person!
For a full list of previous conferences, including presentations, plenary sessions and video clips with participants, please have a look at the IIED conference archive.