Islamic Relief is an independent humanitarian and development organisation that has been serving humanity for 35 years. With an active presence in over 40 countries across the globe, we strive to make the world a better and fairer place for the three billion people still living in poverty.
Islamic Relief’s work focuses on helping millions of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people. Inspired by the Islamic faith and guided by our values, we believe that people with wealth have a duty to those less fortunate – regardless of race, political affiliation, gender or belief.
Islamic Relief projects provide poor people with access to vital services. Islamic Relief protect communities from disasters and deliver life-saving emergency aid. Islamic Relief provide lasting routes out of poverty, and empower vulnerable people to transform their lives and their communities.
The global Islamic Relief family includes national offices, affiliated partners and field offices. Islamic Relief also own a subsidiary company called TIC International which raises funds for our work by collecting and recycling clothing. It was set up in 1993 following an influx of clothing donations in the aftermath of numerous emergency appeals.
Inspired by our Islamic faith and guided by our values, we envisage a world where communities are empowered, social obligations are fulfilled and people respond as one to the suffering of others.
Exemplifying our Islamic values, we will mobilise resources, build partnerships and develop local capacity as we work to:
- Enable communities to mitigate the effect of disasters, prepare for their occurrence and respond by providing relief, protection and recovery.
- Promote integrated development and environmental custodianship with a focus on sustainable livelihoods.
- Support the marginalised and vulnerable to voice their needs and address root causes of poverty.
We remain guided by the timeless values and teachings of the Qur’an and the prophetic example (Sunnah), most specifically:
- Sincerity (Ikhlas) –In responding to poverty and suffering, our efforts are driven by sincerity to God and the need to fulfil our obligations to humanity.
- Excellence (Ihsan) –Our actions in tackling poverty are marked by excellence in our operations and the conduct through which we help the deserving people we serve.
- Compassion (Rahma) –We believe the protection and well-being of every life is of paramount importance and we shall join with other humanitarian actors to act as one in responding to suffering brought on by disasters, poverty and injustice.
- Social Justice (Adl) –Our work is founded on enabling people and institutions to fulfil the rights of the poor and vulnerable. We work to empower the dispossessed towards realising their God-given human potential and develop their capabilities and resources.
- Custodianship (Amana) –We uphold our duty of custodianship over Earth and its resources, and the trust people place in us as a humanitarian and development practitioner to be transparent and accountable.
Islamic Relief works with communities to strengthen their resilience to disasters, and we provide vital emergency aid when disasters occur.
We help vulnerable people to access basic services, including education, water and sanitation, as well as healthcare. We provide lasting routes out of poverty through our sustainable livelihoods schemes, and our integrated approach to development is transforming communities worldwide.
We tackle the root causes of poverty and make sure that the world’s most vulnerable people have a strong voice and real influence in both our programmes and advocacy. We are also a policy leader on Islamic humanitarianism, and our research programmes develop distinctive, practical approaches to the key issues that are affecting our world today.
Islamic Relief endeavours to:
- Reduce the impact of conflicts and disasters
- Empower communities
- Mobilise people and funds
- Strengthen our Islamic Relief family